2017-2019 Strategic Plan Progress
The mission of the Chelsea District Library is to engage, inspire and equip through evolving services and resources. To help us achieve this mission we identified several initiatives for the library to pursue in the coming years. Please click on one of the initiatives below to see our progress.
Facilities, Finance, and Technology
Programs and Collections
Realize the highest potential of the Library facility, fully utilizing all existing space to support optimal patron usage and experience
- June 2017 – Music in the Air concert in Reading Garden
- June 2017 – Fairy Garden ribbon cutting
- April 2017 – Established our Design Think team and had our first meeting. Also decided on some beginning strategies to collect data.
By 2019 increase sponsorship opportunities by 50%
- February 2017 – A sponsorship page was created on the library website. A PayPal account was also setup to receive online donations
By 2019, the library will provide internet access options throughout 100% of our service area
- April 2017 – Distributed 24 hotspots from Mobile Beacon Grant. Gave 8 to the Chelsea High School, 8 to Chelsea Senior Center, and 8 to Faith in Action to loan to residents without broadband. This was in part to target the senior, student, and low-income populations.
Create an upward trend in quantifiable performance measures of circulation, patron engagement, data usage, door count, and new cards issued.
- July 2017: Created a new mobile friendly eNews template with a cleaner look and better readability, branded with new colors and mission statement, and a section for testimonials.
- July 2017: Created and distributed new business cards with new branding palette and mission statement words.
- June 2017: Rolled out the marketing campaign for new mission statement – building/avenue banners, CDL name badges, email signatures, eNews template and business cards.
- June 2017: Met with Sylvan Township Supervisor and Clerk, and Lyndon Township Supervisor.
- May 2017: Conducted a social media preference survey through website, eNews, Facebook & Twitter post and printed requests distributed at the Check Out Desk. 98 responses were recorded. Next step is to analyze responses and then create CDL’s social media marketing practice which will include selected platforms, frequency and content.
- April 2017: Social Media survey was created to identify service district’s social media platform of choice along with desired types of communications.
By 2019, increase cardholders in each township by 10%
- May 2017 – a new column “Township Talk” was added to our print newsletter to communicate library’s specific engagement in the service district’s townships.
Engage with each township through a program or attendance at a township event once a year from 2017 through 2019
Create an upward trend in email subscriptions, attendance at programs, and satisfaction with each successive year of the Strategic Plan for homeschool population.
Increase the number of librarian-teacher/staff-school interactions via outreach by 10% for each year of the Strategic Plan
- Sept 2016: Established quarterly Homeschool meet-ups (Sept, Jan, April 2017); Homeschool Group growing via email, 25 families as of May 2017.
Increase program attendance of teenage patrons by 5% each year for the next three years.
- May 2017 – Edith Donnell has surveyed 330 high school students about using the library, and what they would like the library to do for them; 15 surveyed as to their reading habits as of 5/17
Offer a program, display, or initiative centered on diversity, equity, and inclusion quarterly over the next three years.
- May 2017 – Launched the “Film Forum” series to promote diversity and community dialogue on a long range of topics. Title of first two films are “13th” and “Freedom to Marry”.
Increase circulation of non-traditional collections at end of 2017 by 10% a year for the next two years
- April 2017 – Librarians submitted and management team approved additional items from CDL Garage. Includes a tabletop telescope, a metal detector, a ukele, and a portable cd player.