3D Printing @ CDL
If you are interested in printing on or learning about our 3D printers please click here to signup for a Tech By Request (TBR) session. Printing even small objects can take some time. You only have 1.5 hours of printing time. Therefore when we contact you we will we ask that you send us either a copy of the file you want to print or a link to the thingiverse object you want to print so we can review it and make suggestions on how to best optimize your print time.
The library has two IMADE3D Jellybox 1.3 3D printers. The printers can print objects in PLA plastic. You can search for pre-existing designs (thingiverse.com) or make your own (Tinkercad, OnShape, Fusion 360).
Printing costs $0.10 per gram of printed plastic. After you have sent us the file/link of your object we will contact you with an estimate on costs and time to print.
3D Printing Guidelines
- Objects that can print in a 1.5 hour session are generally smaller than a human fist.
- Most objects that can be printed within the time limit cost less than $3.00.
- Objects can be resized smaller or made more hollow to shorten the print time.
- Objects with a greater than 45 degree overhang will have support structures added automatically (see picture below). When removed these leave a slightly rough surface.
- Objects with thin pieces hanging over empty air (dragon wings, or air plane wings) tend to not print out well.
- Objects with a ton of detail (individual hairs, scales, etc) tend to take longer to print.